Community Health Outreach Worker
The Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale is pleased to have received a grant for the Rhode Island Foundation to hire a community health outreach worker. The person hired for this position will work directly with residents living in public and subsidized housing in Peace Dale to overcome health disparities and other outcomes arising from individual and community stress, poverty, and social isolation.
This work will be done in conjunction with the Washington County Health Equity Zone institution partners and accomplished through a variety of strategies, including:
- Tailor interventions to assist individuals and families with their unique health issues and related challenges;
- Identify needs among the population and work with public and private agencies to secure resources to fill gaps in services;
- Ensure resources and services are delivered in an effective, efficient, and culturally competent manner; and
- Empower residents to become advocates and helpers in their community
- Meet with residents in the community, at their home, in the hospital, or other community settings.
- Accompany residents to appointments, services, and other activities; this may include transporting residents in personal transportation.
- Maintain a high-level of confidentiality.
- Build trusting relationships and serve as an advocate and peer mentor with the goal of empowering residents, individually or in groups, to overcome challenges to good health.
- Be proactive in engaging members and creating a positive experience and relationship.
- Identify systemic barriers to health and bring them to the attention of the Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds Steering Committee and membership.
- Become familiar with public and private resources
- Ability to relate to residents and build trusting relationships.
- Perform other duties are required.
- High School diploma plus a combination of education and skills to effectively carry out responsibilities and assignments; experience working in a community-based setting preferred.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment; ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment with co-workers, patients, family/care givers, and partner agencies.
- Provide own reliable transportation with proof of RI minimum requirements of auto insurance. Additional insurance to cover transportation of residents will be paid by the Jonnycake Center.
- Highly organized and strong interpersonal skills.
- Maintain timely and accurate records and documentation as required.
- Demonstrated experience working with computers and other technology and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Familiarity with South Kingstown community and resources preferred; knowledge of culture and values in the local community.
To be determined. We will consider both full- and part-time depending on the candidate. Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary and Benefits
Salary to commensurate with experience. The Jonnycake Center offers a package of benefits that vary depending on full- and part-time status. Training will be provided with potential for certification in community health.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail to Community Health Outreach Worker, Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale, 1231 Kingstown Road, Peace Dale, RI, 02879.