The Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale relies heavily on the commitment of our volunteers. Our current team of more than 100 dedicated individuals of all ages logged more than 7,600 hours of volunteer time in 2016.
New volunteer opportunity: Income Tax Preparer. Learn more.
Opportunities at the Center
Food Pantry….serve our pantry visitors, accept and sort donations
Donation Center….sort and price donated clothing and housewares for our thrift store
Tax Preparer….become certified to prepare and file income taxes for our visitors
Member Services….register new members, make referrals and reminder calls
Senior Delivery.…deliver groceries to homebound seniors monthly
Merchandising…organize store merchandise and assist customers in our thrift store
Fundraising….organize and staff fundraising events, sell tickets, assist with mailings
Teen Jonnycake….a program for local teenagers who want to volunteer
New volunteer opportunity: Income Tax Preparer
Looking for a way to make difference? Help put thousands of dollars back into the pockets of low-income families as a volunteer tax preparer!
The Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale will become a VITA site (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) in January of 2018. Our VITA team will prepare and file taxes free of charge for local households.
Volunteers will be trained through a mix of classroom and online experiences. We ask our volunteers to commit to one, three-hour time slot each week, for up to twelve weeks. We anticipate being open on Mondays and Saturdays.
Flexible hours. No prior experience necessary. Free tax law trainings and materials.
Roles and Responsibilities of Tax Preparers
- Participate in training and pass online IRS certification
- Prepare federal and state tax returns, within the scope of training and certification
- Ensure all deductions and credits are claimed for taxpayer
- Answer basic tax-related questions and refer those with more complex questions to appropriate organizations and resources
- Ensure information and returns are properly backed up and stored for review
- Maintain confidentiality of taxpayer information
- Stay informed of site policies and procedures, and timely alerts and announcements
Interested individuals should be experienced with computers and have access to email. To learn more, email email@example.com or call Kate at 789-1559 ext. 11.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale, please complete the Volunteer Application and bring it with you to our next volunteer orientation session. Orientations are held from 10:00 am to 11:00 am at our main offices at 1231 Kingstown Road, Peace Dale, RI.
For more information, email us or call 789-1559 ext. 11.