Position Title: Food and Nutrition Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Jonnycake Mission: To provide basic needs, resources, and hope to our community members.
Position Summary: The Food and Nutrition Manager oversees the Jonnycake Market – a shopper’s choice food pantry for area residents; oversees volunteers and interns; works in partnership with local and state agencies; coordinates nutrition education programs; and makes quality referrals to local and federal food assistance programs. He/she works as a team member to achieve the goals and objectives of the Market and carries out the mission of the Jonnycake Center.
Responsible for implementation of food and nutrition programs of one of state’s largest food pantries.
- Manages the Jonnycake Market, a shopper’s choice food pantry available to residents of South Kingstown and Narragansett.
- Procures the most nutritious and affordable food available through both the Rhode Island Community Food Bank and local wholesalers/retailers.
- Oversees, trains, and manages volunteers, ensuring that food pantry visitors are treated with the utmost respect and dignity.
- Takes proactive measures to create a positive work environment and aids in setting the tone for work culture and expectations of staff and volunteers.
- Has an open-door policy.
- Effectively communicates policies and procedures to volunteers and guests.
- Solicits food donations from local grocers, farms, businesses, faith-based and civic organizations, and individual donors.
- Maintains records of service utilization and other relevant statistics.
- Ensures proper food storage and health and safety standards.
Coordinates food nutrition education programs for Jonnycake members.
- Collaborates with university and community-based resources to deliver nutrition education programs to meet the diverse needs of members.
- Ensures pantry inventory includes options for members experiencing food allergies and special dietary restrictions.
- Collaborates with SNAP outreach, WIC, and other community resources to ensure Jonnycake members are taking advantage of all available federal nutrition programs.
Community collaboration and administrative responsibilities.
- Partners with the Rhode Island Community Food Bank, local community nonprofits, and state agencies in delivering nutrition and health promotion to low-income households.
- Identifies training opportunities for volunteers to better serve members.
- Assists with nutrition and food-related grants, as assigned.
- Assists with the promotion of programs through social and print media.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a major or minor in a nutrition, wellness, or health science.
- Experience in customer service and working in or with social services community organizations and a desire to help households living in poverty.
- At least 2 years managerial experience preferred.
- Ability to become Serv-Safe certified within first month of employment.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, and the ability to become proficient in other computer software programs like Salesforce.
- Strong spatial organization skills and the ability to work in fast-paced environment.
- Effective problem-solving skills and the ability to quickly assess issues and develop new strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively when speaking and in writing using standard forms of professional and office communication.
- Ability to make presentations and develop and deliver reports to a varied audience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with people from diverse social and ethnic backgrounds.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds.
- Ability to pack, unpack and put away bulk food items.
- Must have valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle to ensure ability to travel independently.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Please submit your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Food and Nutrition Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Jonnycake Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category prote