Job Announcement – Nutrition and Health Educator
The Jonnycake Center for Hope is a basic needs organization serving primarily residents of South Kingstown and Narragansett. The Center operates the Jonnycake Market, one of the larger food pantries in the state, and offers additional services and programs designed to improve the physical, financial, and emotional health of our members. The Center moved to a new facility in 2022 and seeks a dynamic individual who can assist with our nutrition and health education.
POSITION: Nutrition and Health Educator
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director
The Nutrition and Health Educator is a part-time position (up to 16 hours a week) and responsible for the implementation of our health and nutrition related initiatives and activities across all Jonnycake members including children, adults, and seniors. S/he provides direct services and programs and collaborates with agency partners such as the RI Community Food Bank; University of RI; RI Food, Fitness and Fun; South County Health; YMCA of South County; and others to deliver programs and services to Jonnycake members. S/he also assists with the procurement of food for the Jonnycake Market, cooking classes, and other nutrition related initiatives.
Hours will vary depending on scheduled programs and activities. At least ten hours will be expected to be performed on site, with the possibility of the remaining hours being completed remotely.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Coordinates health and nutrition program activities.
a. Plan and facilitate classes, activities, and modules to meet the diverse health-related needs of Jonnycake members
b. Collaborate with partner agencies and organizations that can provide health and nutrition education services to Jonnycake members
c. Provide direct support to members in need of referrals and individual services
d. Supervise students and interns engaged in health-related activities
e. Collaborates with SNAP outreach, WIC, and other community resources to ensure Jonnycake members are taking advantage of all available federal nutrition programs
2. Assist with food procurement
a. Procures the most nutritious and affordable food available through both the Rhode Island Community Food Bank and local wholesalers/retailers in conjunction with the food pantry coordinator
b. Maintains a current knowledge base of nutrition and food safety-related information from reputable sources
c. Ensures pantry inventory includes options for members with food allergies and special dietary restrictions.
d. Ensures proper food storage and health and safety standards.
3. Edits and creates written and visual content for the program.
a. Coordinates, develops, edits, and reviews the nutrition programs’ written and visual materials for classes, workshops, trainings, outreach, and virtual platforms, to ensure they are current, accurate, relevant to the community, and grammatically correct.
b. Coordinates the programs’ virtual and social media platforms and content, with team and department input, and ensures that they reach our targeted audiences.
c. Assists with the promotion of programs through social and print media.
4. Assists with program development and procedure/policy review:
a. Reviews and implements strategic plan goals, objectives, and program metrics.
b. Assist with health and nutrition related grants
c. Develops and implements new programming and supports grant requirements and compliance, as assigned.
d. Tracks health and nutrition education program activities for reporting purposes.
e. Evaluates class surveys, tracking pre- and post-data to determine habit changes.
5. Other duties as assigned
- This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a major or minor in a nutrition, wellness, or health science.
- Experience in customer service and working in or with social services community organizations and a desire to help households living in poverty.
- At least 2 years managerial experience preferred.
- Ability to become Serv-Safe certified within first month of employment.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, and the ability to become proficient in other computer software programs like Salesforce.
- Strong spatial organization skills and the ability to work in fast-paced environment.
- Effective problem-solving skills and the ability to quickly assess issues and develop new strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively when speaking and in writing using standard forms of professional and office communication.
- Ability to make presentations and develop and deliver reports to a varied audience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with people from diverse social and ethnic backgrounds.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds.
- Ability to pack, unpack and put away bulk food items.
- Must have valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle to ensure ability to travel independently.
Anticipated salary $25/hour.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com with “Nutrition and Health Educator” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Jonnycake Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services or any other category protected by law.